A Functional Capacity Evaluation (FCE) is a comprehensive battery of performance-based tests that is used commonly to determine ability for work, activities of daily living or leisure activities. An FCE measures the ability of an individual to perform functional or work-related tasks and predicts the potential to sustain these tasks over an 8 hour day/40 hour week. Measurements of function from an FCE are used to make return-to-work (activity) decisions, disability determinations or to design rehabilitation plans.
Why Perform a FCE?
- Improve the likelihood that the patient will be safe in subsequent job task performance.
- Assist in modifying job demands through identification of functional decrements so that they may be resolved or worked around.
- Objectively measure work abilities and safe frequency of performance per the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Determine the presence and degree of disability.
- Provides an objective measure of an employee’s validity of effort, assisting in the determination of employees who are “magnifying” symptoms or giving sub maximal effort
Optimum Physical Therapy utilizes the industry renowned Matheson System of FCE testing, which is built on a practice hierarchy of safety, reliability, validity, practicality, and utility.